Check out our
daily specials & restaurant news:
The best little chaat house this side of the Mississippi
At Chai Pani, we serve a range of traditional Indian Street food, drinks, and thalis, but we also celebrate the innovation and evolution of food. Before the Portuguese brought the chili pepper to Goa in the early 1600’s, India had never tasted the fiery possibilities. Before the Beatles traveled to India, most Americans had never heard a sitar! Chef Meherwan never let his love of traditional Indian food stop him from asking the tough questions. Like, "What happens if I reinvent the traditional Kheema Pav and call it a 'Sloppy Jai'?" or "So Kale grows in the south... what happens if I dip it in an amazing Pakora batter and fry it up?" What happens?? You get yourself a Sloppy Jai and the best (and possibly the first) Kale Pakoras in, dare we say it, THE WORLD. Tough questions like these need to be asked, and by jove, Meherwan is not afraid to ask them.
O U R F O O D P H I L O S O P H Y :
- We purchase fresh produce daily from local purveyors and source from local farms when possible.
- We use all natural, free range, sustainably raised chicken from Joyce Farms in Winston-Salem, NC
- We buy sustainably raised American lamb processed by Marcho Farms, PA.
- Our tilapia comes from South America in accordance with the Monterey Bay Sustainable Seafood Watch Program guidelines.
- We cook only in pure trans-fat free canola oil or ghee (clarified butter).
- We use no artificial flavors, coloring or ingredients in anything, ever.
- We roast and grind our own spice blends, and make all our chutneys and sauces in-house.
- We don't serve on disposables to reduce waste in landfills.
- Our to go containers are compostable, eco-friendly & biodegradable.
- We recycle all paper, cardboard, plastic, glass & metal.
- We are members of ASAP (Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project) and support and respect our local farmers.
- We are also members of Explore Asheville, Asheville's official tourism site.